Seeing as how low and declining token price makes nearly everything more difficult for the protocol, I was brainstorming ideas for encouraging people to buy/use MIR.
(1) Charging an up-front fee in MIR on minting mAssets
(2) Charging ongoing interest on any loan that backs an mAsset
(3) …and offering discounted repayment in MIR
(4) …and if feasible, using community funds to liquidate old mAsset contracts that do not charge interest
(5) … and paying interest to MIR commuity fund or to MIR stakeholders
The principle behind all these ideas is that if someone wants exposure to either mAsset price changes or mAsset swap fees, they should be incentivized to buy and use MIR.
Of these ideas I think idea (2) is the most important and most basic. The creation of an mAsset is inherently a short position. Every short position is a borrowing, and every borrowing should be paid in interest.