[Proposal] Whitelist S&P Index Fund - SPY

Poll Link: Mirror

Investing in index funds is considered as one of the best investments one can make because it provides broad diversification across a collective of stocks. This allows for someone to minimize losses by spreading out an investment over multiple companies but only investing in one asset. In just a single trade you own tech stocks, consumer stocks, utilities, real estate, and more.

Warren Buffet made a one million dollar bet that an S&P 500 index fund would beat the returns of an actively managed hedge fund over ten years and he won that bet by a landslide. The goal is to provide global access to index funds without the fees.

The S&P 500 Index was selected because it is a market-capitalization-weighted index of the 500 largest U.S. publicly traded companies. The index accounts for 80% of the market value of the U.S. equities market. The S&P 500 is also float-weighted index, meaning company market capitalizations are adjusted by the number of shares available for public trading. Below are the 10 largest companies of the S&P 500 as of December 31, 2020:

1. Apple Inc. (AAPL)
  2. Microsoft Corp (MSFT)
  3. Amazon.com Inc (AMZN)
  4. Facebook Inc (FB)
  5. Tesla (TSLA)
  6. Alphabet Inc- A shares (GOOGL)
  7. Alphabet Inc- C shares (GOOG)
  8. Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B)
  9. Johnson & Johnson (JNJ)
  10. JP Morgan Chase & Co (JPM)

The SPDR S&P 500 Trust ETF, also known as the SPY ETF, is one of the most well-known funds that tracks the S&P 500 Index. The SPY has generated an average annual return of just under 10% since inception. Over the past three years the SPY has generated an average return of 13.25%. The SPY is well diversified and allocates its fund into multiple sections, such as 27.86% information technology, 13.34% healthcare, 10.44% financial services, 10.97% communication services, 8.12% industrials, 6.09% consumer staples, 12.96% consumer discretionary, 2.70% utilities, and 2.44% real estate.

9 Likes

This is a great idea. We need a few more listings like this. Tech equities are great, but indexes and ETFs are a good idea too. I was really happy to see USO when I got involved with Mirror.

1 Like

An ETF without the fees! That’s so cool!

Setup the poll and link.

Exactly… fee less ETF.

I often talked about ideas like this. In addition to SPY, various index ETFs must be listed.

1 Like

You’re right! I’d like to start getting other indices listed fast as well. Specifically from other stock markets outside US.

… then we can start tokenizing aggregate indices!

Which index would you like next?

1 Like

What if we were to do some massive blended global index… if such a thing exists.

1 Like

Even variants that were additive or subtractive of certain themes. Eco, Energy, Defense, etc…

In the same theme: CLEAN ENERGY ETF

Such as this: iShares Global Clean Energy UCITS ETF | INRG | IE00B1XNHC34

There is mUSO which is oil :oil_drum: which is MEH, clean energy is YAY

1 Like

please start a new topic.

4 Likes

This is a great proposal, and more will be needed like it in the future for multi asset portfolios to be built. Imagine a L2 funds management solution running portfolios of equity / bonds / alternatives on Mirror. Yeah there is interest in tech stocks from the current batch of crypto investors, but the real trick will be capturing interest from the long term savings / pensions type markets. The scale is multiples of that interested in tech stocks. Just a thought, SPY is a great step forward, we really need to get it accepted.

1 Like

I will vote in favor for sure.

1 Like

SPY is a great idea for broad market investing on Mirror. Voted Yes!

3 Likes

Thank you! Next time we’ll get one through!

1 Like

We really need to get this through this time. This would make us much more attractive to passive Investors who value Diversification. I know I would probably increase my Investment in Mirror 10x with such a fund present.

2 Likes

it has my votes!!!

1 Like

New Poll Link: Mirror
(can’t edit oP)

1 Like

Seeing SPY on Mirror would be awesome!

1 Like

So after discussing with DO my view is that we should add, but once v2 is out.